Chocolate Babka is a combination of a sweet yeast dough with a rich delicious filling made of dark chocolate, butter, cocoa, sugar and coffee.
If you noticed, yeast recipes are my favorite! I love the taste and the texture of it. It’s just delicious! If you have never tried any of my yeast recipes, you’ve got to try them out! You won’t regret. Chocolate Babka is an amazing treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
For many of us, kneading a dough is a big challenge. It has to be kneaded for about 10 minutes, until it has smooth texture. However, it can be easily over-kneaded and you will notice, that the dough is dense, and it will be hard to flatten it out and fold it over. If you decide to bake it, it will result hard and chewy bread. If you think that you have over-kneaded your dough, just let it rest untouched for about 1-2 hours. Then knead it again, not for too long, just as quick as possible.
If the dough is too sticky while kneading, you should sprinkle it with more flour. But not too much or it will result with dry dough. When you press it with a finger, and the dough comes back, it means that it’s done and ready for next steps.
PS: If you make any of my recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram as @myfoodaycom and use the #myfooday hashtag. It makes me so happy to see you preparing my recipes!
Check My Other Yeast Recipes
- loaf tin
- 250 g plain flour
- 50 g sugar
- 7 g instant yeast
- 20 g melted butter
- 90 ml lukewarm milk
- 1 egg
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 40 g butter
- 30 g sugar
- 10 g cocoa
- 1 tsp coffee
- Butter 20 cm loaf pan. Sprinkle with flour.
- Flour sift through the sieve. Add in sugar and yeast then stir just until combined. Add in the rest of the dough ingredients.
- Knead for few minutes using hands. Sprinkle with flour, cover with kitchen towel. After that, let raise in a warm place for 1 – 1,5 hour.
- Ingredients for filling place in a heatproof bowl. Melt over pot with simmering water or in the microwave. Sir well to combine.
- Once, the dough has doubled in size, transfer it to a very well floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes. After that, roll out into rectangle.
- Spread chocolate filling over the dough, leaving a 3-4 cm border all around. Tightly roll it up.
- Cut the log in half lengthwise and lay one on another in the middle. Lift one side over the other one, forming a twist. Pitch the tops ends together.
- Transfer to prepared pan, cover with a kitchen towel and let raise for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 180 C. Remove towel and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.